This is the story of a homeschooling city girl, trading in her Saks 5th life of luxury for farm tack and homesteading! My family, new farm critters and I will share our successes, failures and crazy stories during this new chapter of life!

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Grinding Wheat

I am FINALLY grinding my own wheat.  It is due in FULL to help from amazing friends who care about the health of their families.  I am so blessed by those that surround me in this new house.  My new homeschool group seems to have been literally knit together for me.  I am so thankful for every move God orchestrated in my life to get me where I currently am.  What a blessing!

If you have ever thought of grinding your own wheat and making your own bread from scratch, message me.  I will be so happy to pass on to you what others have shared with me!

I don't yet have my own wheat grinder, but it is on my *PLEASE, HONEY!* list.  <3 <3 <3
At the current moment, we travel to Harry's Farmer's Market to buy and grind our wheat.

This week, I made these banana and millet loaves!


Next week, I will try some new recipes and share them with you (if they're good!).
For now, this is the recipe I used for the banana and millet loaves above!

Original Recipe Yield 16 muffins

Ingredients

  • 2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1/3 cup millet
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup honey

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease 16 muffin cups or personal loaf pans.
  2. In a large bowl, mix the whole wheat flour, millet flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, mix the buttermilk, egg, vegetable oil, and honey. Stir buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture just until evenly moist. Transfer batter to the prepared muffin cups.
  3. Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment