This is the story of a homeschooling city girl, trading in her Saks 5th life of luxury for farm tack and homesteading! My family, new farm critters and I will share our successes, failures and crazy stories during this new chapter of life!

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Cold Frame Garden with Repurposed Windows!

A homeschool friend of mine has been SO amazing to me.  She invited us into her home, fed us an incredible homemade healthy snack, and taught us SO MUCH about gardening, homesteading, planting, cooking... you name it.  As if that wasn't enough, she collected about 20 magazines and catalogs, and sent me home with them!  She has been such an incredible influence on me.  I couldn't wait to build my own cold frame and harvest some wintertime treats!

We went to Target for some plants, then Home Depot to gather some landscape timbers and buy more plants.  These kids can really pile into a cart.  =)

See what I mean??


It was a LOT of work, but it came out GREAT!!!  The "roof" of the cold frame is made of the windows we replaced from our old house.  I put a thermometer inside the middle window, and I crack it each day when it reaches around 70 degrees.  One day, I forgot to crack it.  I was very surprised to see that the temperature had reached 124!


It has really worked well, however.  This week, I picked Rosemary and Basil, and marinated the most delicious turkey in the spices!

No comments:

Post a Comment