This is the story of a homeschooling city girl, trading in her Saks 5th life of luxury for farm tack and homesteading! My family, new farm critters and I will share our successes, failures and crazy stories during this new chapter of life!

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Waiting Game

Next came the offer.

We kept our golf course home for sale, but also offered it on the internet for lease. 
We wrote an offer on the farm house at full asking price, and Rose accepted.  We celebrated.  But, we discovered that this house was likely built in 1930.  We were doing VA financing, because my husband is an 82nd Airborne Vet.  We knew exactly what we would be facing in the coming month, and I was super nervous.  My husband was my rock, telling me "It is all going to work out," every single day.  VA is very picky when it comes to appraisals, inspections, conditions, EVERYTHING. 

We went through step by step, and we waited and waited. The appraisal alone almost took a week to come back, and I nearly lost my mind.  There I was, sitting in my big house full of stuff, unable to start packing, because I didn't know how the appraisal or inspection would come back.

FINALLY, the appraisal, inspections and conditions came back.  We would be able to work it all out!  Then, a renter called, interested in the golf course house!  We were super excited!  But there was only ONE problem.  The renter wanted to be in the house within 5 days.  FIVE DAYS.

I packed like a crazy all the next day.  There were boxes everywhere.

That night, I texted my mom in Tennessee.  I simply said, "SO... would you guys like to come visit... NOW??"  She instantly called me, and I explained our situation. She didn't have too terribly many questions, and wasn't really in shock.  She's quite used to random and abnormal news from me!

She and my dad came down to GA, and the process began!  We packed, packed, and packed some more.  We ran out of packing tape, made trips to groceries begging for more boxes, bought others at packing stores, and even got so low as to dumpster dive behind liquor stores for more boxes when it seemed we had acquired all the ones in our county!

We hired movers, rented a truck, and made about 5,386,312 trips back and forth before the entire house was empty.  We got it all to the new house, then went into complete shock.  WHERE were we going to put all this stuff?!?  We still don't know where a lot of it will end up- much of it is in our storage building.  But, we were in the new farmhouse.  Life would be different.  Life would be exciting.  It would be an adjustment.  But we could not wait!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment